April 18, 2013

Glass Vases Turned To Decor

 
 Today I'm going to turn cylinder vases into decor! I was going to post a different blog post today but I'm anxious to move on to some other decor in my living room. So I'll try to hurry up and finish with the projects on my fireplace so I can show you how my fireplace turned out. Unfortunately after this post I still have one more project before I can post final pics, so hang with me!
 
 Today we are going to talk about Mod Podge and the wonders it does! If you don't know what Mod Podge is then you must not craft and you are missing out. O.K. so Mod Podge is a glue that I use for a lot of my crafts especially when it comes to paper. It puts a nice glossy coat on the paper.
 
 So let's get started. I got a glass cylinder vase type thing. The only before picture I have of the vase is with all the glass stuff on my fireplace. I was trying to get a vision of what it would look like with everything in place. So if you look closely you will see the cylinder vase.
 
 I then went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some scrapbook paper or paper with designs, whatever you want to call it. I then cut out the amount of paper needed to cover the glass. I then used the Mod Podge and put it on the glass. I then stuck the paper on the glue/glass. I let it dry for about 5 minutes. I then covered the paper with Mod Podge. If you are looking for the perfect look I'm not the one to ask about that. Make sure that when you glue the paper that there are no creases and put it on slowly. What I had left on the top and bottom I guess I could have cut off, but since no one is scoring me on how perfect it looks I just folded the top into the vase and the bottom under the vase (as little paper as possible).
 
 Next I got some ribbon, needle and thread. Fold about a 1/2 of an inch behind the ribbon. Then fold the ribbon making it look like an accordion. If you understand what I'm talking about great, if not I'm sorry it's complicated to explain. That's the best way I know how to explain it. Bringing the ribbon down then up. Once you are happy with the amount you have bunched up bring your needle and tread trough it so it keeps it bunched up. Now you have something to add a touch to your vase.
 
 
It's pretty easy and it adds a nice touch to my fireplace. It's different and yet inexpensive. The glass vases were a dollar each at the dollar store. The amount of ribbon I used was nothing because I had it on hand but the amount I paid was a about a dollar something. Then the paper was about 25 cents each (50% off at Hobby Lobby). So the overall cost was about $3.50. Not bad for 2 pieces of decor. I like it and that's what matters! In my opinion it was worth three dollars and fifty cents. What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. Here's a tip for homemade ModgePodge. Take a bottle of white school glue (watch for it cheap around back to school!). Dump the entire bottle in a jar. Fill the bottle up with water and pour it into the jar. Shake well. It works just like Modege Podge for a lot less!

    ReplyDelete

09 10